If there’s one Asian dish that has teased and pleased the taste buds of foodies all over the world, then perhaps it’s the chicken curry. It’s easy to cook and the ingredients can be bought from any grocery all year long.
Because it is a well-loved dish, it’s no wonder that different countries made their own adaptations. There’s the famous “Country Captain” served by a certain Mrs. W.L. Bullard of Warm Springs, Georgia to then president Franklin Delano Roosevelt and US Army General George S. Patton. It is believed that this delicious dish even influenced the reinstatement of Southern US to its classic status. Hmmmm, a mighty powerful dish, eh?
There’s still a lot more to this dish that we would like to share; but we don’t want to douse your excitement to prepare it. One chicken curry recipe coming up!
How to Cook Chicken Curry (Philippine Style)
This version from the Philippines comes from a friend. She cooked it when we visited her home just a month ago. Try it and you’ll love it as much as we did.
Here’s what you’ll need for four persons:
1/2 kgs. chicken, cut into serving pieces
2 medium-sized potatoes, quartered
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 medium-sized onion, chopped
1 small green or red bell pepper, cubed
Coconut cream, 1 can
Curry powder, 2 tbsps.
2 small carrots, cut into 2-inch cubes
Salt and pepper to taste
Vegetable oil, 2 tbsps.
1. Preheat the pan. When it’s hot enough, saute the garlic. Make sure it doesn’t burn. Add the onions. Mix until onions are cooked.
2. Put the chicken pieces and stir continuously until cooked. This gives the meat more flavor. Add the salt, pepper and curry powder. You can add some MSG if you like. Simmer. Meanwhile, put half a cup of the coconut milk into a bowl. Add half a cup of water and mix. Pour this over the chicken.
3. Turn the heat to medium and cover the pan until chicken is tender. This will take you about 10 minutes.
4. Add the potatoes carrots, bell peppers and the remaining coconut milk. Let it boil. Then simmer for another 10 minutes or until the sauce thickens a little and the potatoes are tender.
5. Here’s your chicken curry. Serve it with hot rice and enjoy!
4973 total views, 1 today